Friday, March 21, 2014

God's not Dead, but Christian cinema is


I try to be understanding towards Christian films. I really do. I try to give them the benefit of the doubt. But after watching the trailer for the new film "God's Not Dead" being release this spring by Pure Flix Entertainment, I feel impelled to share my opinion: we need to stop support "Christian" films that insult the intelligence of its audience and plays on emotions and stereotypes.

But how can I be so harsh? The movie hasn't even been released yet, I don't know really know how good this movie is. Valid point, but let me tell you what I saw when I watched the trailer and then see whether you agree with my opinion. But first, check out the link to the film trailer yourself so you can have an idea of what I'm talking about.

God's Not Dead Trailer


Let me start with the production value. It isn't terrible, but for a film that is seems primed for release to theaters across the country as a major motion picture, why is it roughly the same quality as B-film Sharknado? At least Sharknado had a greater variety of locations and some cool special effects.

Stereotypes, Stereotypes, Stereotypes. It's the perfect way to turn powerful cinema into cheap propaganda. Way to present the stereotypical atheist professor who doesn't want any discussion but only wants to destroy the faith of those silly, ignorant Christians. How about we further the stereotype from the Christian point of view and reveal in the trailer his true motivations (which really takes the suspense out the film by the way), which are that he hates God. In between the clips of the openly Christian band "Newsboys" singing about how God isn't dead (more on this later), they show that fearless Christian college kid aggressively asking his wicked atheist teacher why he hates God, to which the professor is in dumbfounded silence. There it is! The atheist hates God! How convenient! Of course they couldn't show a humble, open-minded atheist who is genuinely seeking the truth. That would present to many sticky situations to the narrow-minded worldview of the filmmakers and ruin the pure, Christian propaganda, oops, I meant message of the movie.

But maybe I'm not giving the filmmakers enough credit. Maybe they are smarter than I am giving them credit for. They sure have a heck of a marketing campaign. Just because I have listened to some Chris Tomlin on Spotify I have been getting almost non-stop ads for "God is not Dead" film. They are targeting a very distinct demographic of Christians who actually listen to Praise and Worship music which are evangelical Christians, and other charismatic Christians like myself. Something that really bothers me about their marketing campaign is the use of the Band Newsboys and their hit song "God is not Dead" as big part of their trailer. They are using the Newsboys to give them star-power and name recognition among Christians. During the trailer, when interesting clips from the movie would have been appropriate, they show the Newsboys performing on stage. It's a marketing stunt, the Newsboys add nothing qualitative to the movie, if anything they hurt it's credibility and make it seem they are trying to compensate for the film's own lack of merit. It's like when another silly romantic comedy comes out they have to plaster big name actors and actresses all over the advertising to compensate for the film's own lack of originality. It's too bad the Newsboys don't even act ... well ... maybe they did for this movie.

Going to see a movie is not about "joining a movement"! All you are doing is rewarding opportunistic "Christian" producers with million of dollars for making cheap movies. Don't believe me? Look no further than the "Son of God" movie which was literally a re-cut television show (which also made gobs of money) that made 52.5 million at the box office. 52.5 million! You think that you are supporting quality Christian film being made while the producers are laughing their way to the bank!


Please comment and share your opinions! I feel very strongly about this issue but I am also eager to hear differing opinions and viewpoints on the Christian film industry and on this particular film.


In Christ,


James Lohrmann

5 comments:

  1. I think there is some truth to your thesis (first bold statement).

    What would this general structure for a film look like if you reformed it to your criteria
    (i.e. no stereotypes, no insulting intelligence, no emotional pleas)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Seth it starts with a well-written script that asks difficult questions and doesn't just provide the easy answers. To give you an idea of how I would have changed "God is Not Dead" to meet my "criteria" (which is hard to do because i haven't seen the film) I would firstly change the title because it tells the "message" of the film and doesn't leave any room for mystery, suspense, or surprises (all important parts of a good movie). I would also make the characters more complex. Real people are complex and have struggles and doubts (I already talked about the stereotypes in the post). Basically I would change the entire story haha.

    But yes a film needs very good character development and dialogue. An interesting storyline that keeps people in suspense. I would also say that a good film asks important questions that gets people thinking and examining their own lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you say the movie "To Save a Life" meets your criteria?
    BTW, great post James! Totally agree bro!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kevin! I thought 'To Save a Life" was a good movie. It wasn't afraid to tackle tough issues and showed that Christians still struggle, suffer, and make mistakes after deciding to follow Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. James, these reviews are from atheists about the movie "God's Not Dead". Looks like you were right.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2528814/reviews?ref_=tt_ov_rt

    ReplyDelete